Tuition and Fees
The cost breakdown below is based on 2019-2020 tuition rates and is subject to change for the 2020-2021 academic year.
- Total Cost of Attendance: $81,000*
*Includes direct and indirect expenses
- One-Time Transcript Fee: $100
- Graduate Student Activity Fee: $17
- Tuition Cost Per Credit Hour: $2,139
- Student Health Insurance: $2,905
Graduate students at Georgetown pay tuition per credit hour; MASIA is a 36-credit degree program. Students must enroll full-time (12 credits/semester) during their first year, and may enroll either part-time (6 credits/semester) or full-time (12 credits total) for their second year.
Health insurance is mandatory for all full-time students, though students may be eligible to waive the health insurance fee if they already have health coverage. For more information on waiving the health insurance fee, please contact the Student Health Insurance Office. Additional details, including general information on billing policies and procedures, are available on the Office of Billing and Payment Services website.
Asian Studies Financial Aid
MASIA awards a limited number of merit aid tuition scholarships to both new and continuing students with strong academic and professional qualifications. Awards are made available to domestic and international students enrolling in the program.
To apply for merit aid, please check the applicable box on the Graduate School application form.
Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships
Asian Studies also awards U.S. Department of Education Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) fellowships for advanced language study of Chinese, Korean, and Japanese. These fellowships are designed to increase the number of U.S. specialists in our respective areas. Academic year fellowships offer tuition assistance of $18,000 and include a $15,000 stipend. Applicants who are awarded the FLAS Fellowship must complete one language course per semester for a grade and one area studies course per semester for a grade. Below are the materials for the 2019-2020 FLAS application due April 1, 2019. (The 2020-2021 FLAS application cycle will begin around March 2020.)
- Online Application
- Recommendation Form (2 Required)
- Departmental Endorsement Form
- Frequently Asked Questions
Please note that you must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident to apply.
Office of Student Financial Services
Information on financial aid, part-time employment, and loan programs such as the U.S. Department of Education Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan Program, is available from the Georgetown University Office of Student Financial Services (OSFS), which is a separate office from the Asian Studies Program. For more information, please visit the OSFS website or call (202) 687-4547.
Financial Aid for International Students
For information regarding financial aid available to international students, please visit the following two websites: Office of International Student and Scholar Services and Office of Student Financial Services.
External Fellowship/Scholarship Opportunities
For U.S. Citizens
- The Thomas R. Pickering Graduate Foreign Affairs Fellowship (Typical Annual Deadline: End of January)
- The Charles B. Rangel International Affairs Program (Typical Annual Deadline: Mid January)
- The Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans (Typical Annual Deadline: November 1st)
For U.S. Citizens and Non-U.S. Citizens
- Fulbright Foreign Student Program (Prepare an application up to 2 years in advance of program attendance)
- The Joint Japan-World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program (Typical Annual Deadline: March 31st)
- Korea Foundation Fellowship for Graduate Students (Typical Annual Deadline: January 31st)
For a more comprehensive listing of fellowship opportunities, please visit Georgetown University’s Office of Student Financial Services.
External Language Study Scholarships
- Boren Fellowship (Typical Annual Deadline: January 31st)
- Critical Language Scholarship Program (Typical Annual Deadline: November 15th)
- The Kathryn Davis Fellowships for Peace: Critical Languages (Typical Annual Deadline: January 30th)
For information on graduate tuition and fees, please visit the Office of Student Financial Services