Asian Studies hosts a limited number of visiting researchers and professional fellows from Asia on a semester and academic year basis. Visitors become part of the Georgetown community and receive full access to the University libraries and Asian Studies facilities. Researchers may audit classes (with the instructor’s permission) and work on their own research projects for presentation to the Asian Studies community. Professional fellows from government, business, and journalism are welcome as well. Due to visa considerations, applications are due months in advance. The program gives preference to scholars from outside the Washington D.C. area.
How to Apply
- Submit the online SFS Asian Studies Visiting Researcher Application Form
- Email the following required documents to Robert.Lyons@georgetown.edu:
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- 1-page Research Proposal
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Proof of Financial Support (Personal or Sponsored)
- TOEFL/TOEIC/IELTS Score (Native English speakers and those with a degree from an English-speaking University are exempt from this requirement.)
- After emailing all required documents, you will receive a confirmation email stating that your application is complete. Application results are available within one month during peak periods in the academic year. Early application is encouraged per the application deadlines.
- If you have any questions regarding the visiting researcher program, please email Mr. Robert Lyons at Robert.Lyons@georgetown.edu
Benefits: Visiting researchers enjoy access to the university’s many resources, including:
- University libraries
- Meetings with Asian Studies Program faculty
- Auditing courses with instructor permission
- English as a Foreign Language classes at Georgetown (additional fees apply.)
- Campus events
Cost: Visiting researchers are required to pay $4,400 USD (Current MA/PhD candidates pay $2,400 USD) to the SFS Asian Studies Program for each semester of study, not including the summer semester. The average cost for a visiting researcher to stay enrolled with the program for one full year is $8,800 USD.
Fulbright Scholars are only required to pay a one-time SFS Asian Studies Program fee of $500 USD in addition to the $400 USD university fee per academic-year semester of their stay.
- Read and follow any relevant instructions for J-1 scholars from International Student and Scholar Services.
- Follow the policies for visiting researchers.
- Make appointment to check-in with Robert Lyons (Robert.Lyons@georgetown.edu) and pay the applicable SFS Asian Studies semester fees and university fees.