Asian Studies hosts a limited number of visiting researchers and professional fellows from Asia on a semester and academic year basis. Visitors become part of the Georgetown community and receive full access to the University libraries and Asian Studies facilities. They are permitted to audit classes (with the instructor’s permission) and work on their own research projects for presentation to the Asian Studies community. Professional fellows from government, business, and journalism are welcome as well. Due to various visa considerations, we recommend applying at least 6 months in advance. Preference is given to scholars from outside the Washington D.C. area.
How to Apply
- Submit the online SFS Asian Studies Visiting Researcher Application Form
- Email the following required documents to Robert.Lyons@georgetown.edu:
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- 1-page Research Proposal
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Proof of Financial Support (Personal or Sponsored)
- TOEFL Score (This requirement is waived for native English speakers and anyone who has a degree from an English-speaking university.)
- After emailing all required documents, you will receive a confirmation email stating that your application is complete in approximately three business days. Application results will be given within two weeks.
- Any questions may be directed to Robert Lyons at Robert.Lyons@georgetown.edu
Benefits: Visiting researchers enjoy access to the university’s many resources, including:
- The libraries
- Meetings with faculty
- Auditing courses with instructor permission
- English as a Foreign Language classes at Georgetown
- Campus events
Cost: Visiting researchers are required to pay $3,750 USD (MA/PhD candidates pay $1,750 USD) to the SFS Asian Studies Program and $400 USD to the Office of the Provost each semester of their visit. The SFS Asian Studies Program does not charge for summer semesters, but the Provost Office does. The average cost for a visiting researcher to stay enrolled with the program for one year (Fall, Spring, Summer Semesters) is $8,700 USD. Fulbright scholars are required only to pay a one-time fee of $500 USD to the SFS Asian Studies Program.