Application Guidelines

The Asian Studies Program is pleased to offer summer internship grants to first-year students currently enrolled in Master of Arts degree in Asian Studies (MASIA). To be eligible, the internship must meet the following guidelines:

  • Be relevant to the Asian Studies degree program and provide professional experience; and
  • Have a minimum of eight weeks duration, full-time (at least 35 hours per week).
  • Students may also use the funding to enroll in an approved language immersion course.

To apply, please submit the following documents:

  • A completed application form
  • A proposal describing how you intend to use the grant and how it will support your career goals
  • A copy of resume
  • An internship offer letter from the host organization, listing the internship dates and responsibilities, or an admissions letter from the language immersion program
  • Tax forms:
    1. U.S. citizens must complete an online W-9 Tax Form
      (NOTE: The address on the W-9 form must match the address where the summer funding will be sent)
    2. International students are required to complete the following forms available from the Office of Global Services: Alien Information Request Form, Form 8233, and W-8BEN Form. In addition to these forms, you must also submit a copy of your passport, U.S. Visa, I-94 Form and I-20 Forms. If you do not have a U.S. Social Security Number, you must apply for one at the Social Security Administration (SSA). The closest SSA office from Georgetown’s main campus is located at 2100 M Street, NW.

Students may contact Mr. Lawrence Smith at the GU Tax Office for assistance with paperwork. He can be reached at or (202) 687-5448.

Should a student wish to travel to a country under the U.S. State Department travel warning using a grant provided by Georgetown University, permission from the university is required. Please followed the instructions under the Important Information section below.

Grant Recipient Responsibilities

  • Inform the Asian Studies Program of any changes in internship placement, such as host organization, location of work, and/or duration of internship
  • Inform the Asian Studies Program of any changes to your language immersion course
  • Deposit grant check within 90 days of receiving it
  • At the completion of the internship or language immersion course, you will be asked to submit a one-page summary of your experience, as well as 10 photographs that may be posted on the Asian Studies Program’s website (NOTE: Students who do not submit reports on time will be required to refund the award)
  • Sign the “Acknowledgement and Assumption” Risk Form
  • Students who are traveling internationally must register their travel with Georgetown University’s Global Assistance Program before departure. This enables the university to proactively contact travelers and provide support in case of an emergency

Important Information

  • As these are grants, they might be taxable as income to students. According to the IRS notice 87-31, neither the grantor nor the educational institution is required, under section 6041, to file a return of information (W-2 or 1099 Misc) to IRS with respect to such stipend. It is the responsibility of the recipient, to report taxable non-qualified fellowship or scholarship payments to IRS. While Georgetown University will not report the stipend to the IRS or to the Recipient on a 1099, the income may be taxable to you depending on what you use the money for (tuition, books, and required fees are typically tax-free). We suggest you consult the IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education, and consult with a tax adviser
  • Should a student wish to travel to a country with a State Department travel warning using a grant given by the university, permission from the university is required. Departments and students are responsible for getting this permission. Please be in touch with Katherine Bellows in the Office of Global Services at to initiate this process. (Click here for the requisite forms.) Documentation of granted permission from the university will need to be included with other documentation to make payment.
  • If you are traveling internationally, please confirm coverage for international travel with your primary health insurance provider. If needed, purchase supplemental health insurance for the period of time you will be overseas. Please visit the Student Health page for a list of international health insurance providers.