Asian Studies Fellowships
Scholarships are available to both new and continuing students and are awarded by a faculty committee on the basis of merit. Applicants who wish to be considered for Asian Studies Fellowships should check the applicable box in the online application.
Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships
Asian Studies also awards U.S. Department of Education Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) fellowships for advanced language study of Chinese, Korean, and Japanese. These fellowships are designed to increase the number of U.S. specialists in our respective areas. Academic year fellowships offer tuition assistance of $18,000 and include a $15,000 stipend. Applicants who are awarded the FLAS Fellowship must complete one language course per semester for a grade and one area studies course per semester for a grade. The 2018-2019 application is now available and due April 3, 2018. Please note that you must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident to apply.
Office of Student Financial Services
Information on financial aid, part-time employment, and loan programs such as the U.S. Department of Education Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan Program, is available from the Georgetown University Office of Student Financial Services (OSFS), which is a separate office from the Asian Studies Program. For more information, please visit the OSFS website or call (202) 687-4547.
Financial Aid for International Students
For information regarding financial aid available to international students, please visit the following two websites: Office of International Student and Scholar Services and Office of Student Financial Services.
External Fellowship/Scholarship Opportunities
For U.S. Citizens
- The Thomas R. Pickering Graduate Foreign Affairs Fellowship (Typical Annual Deadline: End of January)
- The Charles B. Rangel International Affairs Program (Typical Annual Deadline: Mid January)
- The Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans (Typical Annual Deadline: November 1st)
For U.S. Citizens and Non-U.S. Citizens
- Fulbright Foreign Student Program (Prepare an application up to 2 years in advance of program attendance)
- The Joint Japan-World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program (Typical Annual Deadline: March 31st)
- Korea Foundation Fellowship for Graduate Students (Typical Annual Deadline: January 31st)
For a more comprehensive listing of fellowship opportunities, please visit Georgetown University’s Office of Student Financial Services.
External Language Study Scholarships
- Boren Fellowship (Typical Annual Deadline: January 31st)
- Critical Language Scholarship Program (Typical Annual Deadline: November 15th)
- The Kathryn Davis Fellowships for Peace: Critical Languages (Typical Annual Deadline: January 30th)
For information on graduate tuition and fees, please visit the Office of Student Financial Services.